Monday, March 9, 2009
After he left I went shopping at Old Navy because I heard they were having crazy sales - which they were! I got 2 tshirts, 1 dressy shirts, 2 long tank tops, and 2 sundresses for 60 bucks! All very basic stuff, but I needed some summer clothes for sure. My mission was a new bathing suit, but it was another one of those "medium too big, small too small" deals. Grrr! So I'm gonna spend my lunch break looking on American Eagle for some. My amazing coworker gave me a 20% of coupon that expires tomorrow, so hey, might as well use it! We drag each other down with our shopping habits :-)
Now I'm busy conjuring up a weekend plan for girls only! My step dad is going out of town so I'm thinking of taking my mom, aunt and cousins out for some shopping and dinner. Like I need to do more shopping. Geeze. Gotta stimulate that economy somehow, right?!
(I take every chance I get to make a joke or show my overwhelming apathy for our failing economy because I'm SO sick of hearing about it. I know it's a big deal. Just tired of hearing about it...kthanks.)
Thursday, March 5, 2009
This weekend was amazing! I bought my new car!!! A perfect 2009 white Jetta :swoon: The new car smell is almost enough to make me drool. I traded my Jeep in and got a really good deal - I couldn't be happier with it!
My wonderful cousin who goes to school in D.C. came down for the weekend on her way to spring break in Florida. We all met up at my aunt's new house in Alpheretta and had about 20 people jammed into one townhouse (the more the merrier!) Good wine, family, excellent food = my kinda weekend! (Are you starting to see a pattern with my life? Hehe) We had planned on staying into the night Sunday since she only lives an hour away, but the crazy Georgia weather got the best of us. We heard there would be snow flurries and icy roads in Atlanta, so alas, we had to depart early. Thank GOODNESS we did! The whole ride was pretty tame until we got about 20 minutes outside of our city. Can I just tell you - I have never seen snow like that in my life! I mean, I've been skiing in Tennessee in the dead of winter and that still didn't compare to what we got! I was scared outta my whits driving in the few inches of snow (in my NEW car, mind you!) because I never have had to do that before. I finally made it home safely and returned to a house with no power. No power, freezing cold, only family around with a fire place...yep...we had about 20 people at my mom's crowded around the fireplace until midnight when it came back on. Such a crazy night! That is exactly why I don't go camping. The next day when I got up for work, I couldn't even move my car for all the snow. What should have been a great snow day simply wasn't! I had no winter clothes packed, because the day I left it was friggin 60 degrees. So I sat around the house all day bored out of my mind watching trashy soap operas with my mom. Such the girl bonding time (no, not really).
The good news is now the weather is beautiful, AND my wonderful boyfriend is driving in tonight for his spring break! I couldn't be happier! I have a long rehearsal from 5:00-9:30 tonight, but he promised to be at my house waiting for me when I got done. I've been grinning from ear to ear all day :-) I'm planning on taking him out to Bonefish Grill tomorrow night as a surprise date. If you have never been there I beg you - please go! It is the most amazing food ever! It can get a little pricey, but totally worth it for a romantic and nice dinner. Last time I went I was a bad vegan and got a ton of meat...probably will happen again tomorrow! My recommendations are:
Starters - Bang Bang Shrimp & Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Salads - Bonefish House Salad & Florida Cobb Salad
Main Course - Grilled Tilapia with jasmine rice pan Asian sauce, Imperial Longfin with asparagus, & the scallops in chimichurri sauce
Drinks - Ocean Trust Martini, Chocolate Martini, & the Red Wine Sangria
Take my advice! Your stomach will thank you.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Floral Cami - $24.40
Floral Dress - $44.50
Knit Skirt - $24.50
Watercolor Bikini - $19.50 & $14.50
Striped Shorts - $39.50
Sunrise Sandals - $29.50
Other than American Eagle the only other thing on my mind is how excited I am that tomorrow I will hopefully be purchasing a NEW CAR! I have a Jeep Liberty right now and have had so many problems with it - I'm over it. And everyone has told me now is the time to buy since they're so cheap. So I'm looking at VWs...mainly Passats and Jettas. Cute, little, clean white car for me is what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for!
Monday, February 23, 2009
Kate Winslet - Has she ever had a bad red carpet look?
Freida Pinto - Always picks great colors that look amazing with her skin
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Last night I hung out with some girlfriends for dinner and Rock Band (I am probably the best drummer you'll ever find...I'm hardcore!) We made the most amazing eggplant Parmesan! One of the girls is a vegan also, and since we were at her house her fridge was fully stocked with stuff I could eat and cook with. I'm mildly obsessed with Italian food, and I love trying out new recipes. It just seems like you can never mess up an Italian dish. Here is our super easy recipe we came up with.
1 very large eggplant cut into disks about 1/2 in. thick
Italian style bread crumbs
3 tsp. egg replacer (or 2 eggs)
4 tbsp. water (omit if your not vegan)
2 cups soy milk
1 large jar of your favorite marinara sauce
1 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix together egg replacer, soy milk, and water in a small bowl & put bread crumbs on a small plate.
Coat a 8x12 casserole dish with a thin layer of marinara.
Coat eggplant slices in olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Turn stove on medium heat and cook eggplant on both sides until slightly tender and golden brown.
When eggplant is done, dunk each piece in wet mixture then coat in bread crumbs. Lay pieces slightly overlapping in casserole dish over marinara.
Add a layer of Parmesan and mozzarella cheese over eggplant.
Repeat the layering until dish is filled and top with cheese.
Leave in oven 20-25 minutes or until cheese on top is golden brown.
It was such an easy thing to make, and like I said you really can't mess it up. And of course you can switch any of the ingredients for non vegan!
In other news - after dinner I received one of the most bittersweet phone calls ever. My boyfriend had a big-deal audition yesterday in St. Louis where tons of theatres nationwide recruit actors for their summer shows. He has been very down on himself lately and questioning his talents. *FYI - there is absolutely NO need in this! The boy is the most talented actor I've ever known...I'm bias of course, but I am 100% convinced he is going to hit it big one day. He's talented, but even more so he's a damn hard worker and never does anything half way.* When he called me he informed me he had about 11 job offers over the summer! The two main ones he was considering were for lead roles....but they are in Indiana and Oklahoma. He's in school all year, so the summer is really the only time we get to feel like a normal couple and see each other whenever we want. I was crushed. I did not let on, however, in the least! Of course I'm ecstatic for him and I didn't want to kill his mood, so I screamed for him and told him over and over how proud of him I was (which I am!). Inside, though, I'm just a selfish girlfriend who is going to miss having him home for 3 months. But it will pay him weekly, PLUS pay for his housing and provide 3 meals a day for him...it's an amazing opportunity with a great setup. So don't worry - I will be gushing over him and bite my tongue like a good girlfriend should.
Well it's off to a long day of rehearsals for me...I hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!
Thursday, February 19, 2009
*Since my dumb dumb computer at my desk still won't let me put in hyperlinks, I'll do it the old fashion way!*
PS - More about me later...it's still before 8AM...zombie mode.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
The Spark Of Creation
It sounds full of wind and mist, doesn't it
It means other things exist, doesn't it
It says Adam leave your list, doesn't it
Father why does my head feel this joy this dread
since the moment I said Beyond!
I've got an itching on the tips of my fingers
I've got a boiling in the back of my brain
I've got a hunger burning inside me, cannot be denied
I've got feeling that the Father who made us
When he was kindling a pulse in my veins
He left a tiny spark of that fire, smoldering inside
The spark of creation, is flickering within me
The spark of creation,is blazing in my blood
A bit of the fire that lit up the stars
And breathed life into the mud, the first inspiration
The spark creation
I see a mountain and I want to climb it
I river and I want to leave shore
Where there was nothing let there be something, something made by me
There's things waiting for me to invent them
There's worlds waiting for me to explore
I am an echo of the eternal cry of Let there be!
The spark of creation, burning bright within me
The spark of creation, won't let me rest at all
Until I discover or build or uncover
A thing that I can call, my celebration
Of the spark creation
The spark of creation, may it burn forever
The spark creation, I am a keeper of the flame
We think all we want is a lifetime leisure
Each perfect day the same endless vacation
Well that's alright if you're a kind crustacean
But when you're born with an imagination
Sooner of later you're feeling the fire get hotter and higher
The spark of creation!!!
Monday, February 16, 2009
Thursday night he had a late rehersal, so I hung out in the hotel for a little while. When he got back we popped some popcorn and watched a movie...stayed up and talked for hours which was really nice. Niether one of us are really phone talkers...we like the face-to-face chats. Friday he had class for a few hours, so I made a trip to the mall and window shopped. I am SO proud to say I didn't purchase one thing! That is a serious accomplishment for me. Then we had a sushi date with some drinks at the best Japanese resturant I've ever had! And, yes, I ate sushi....the kind with fish (so sue me!)
Friday we slept in til almost noon and laid around watching movies all day. It was so great to just be able to lay around with no place to go! Then he took me to an amazing Italian place for our Valentine's dinner. We were in the wine tasting room of the resturant that they set just a few tables up for special occasions. Low lights, candles, wine, lounge music...it was absolutly perfect! Another tradition we have (may sound weird) is to get doughnuts from Wal-Mart and eat on them all weekend whenever I go to visit. Call it silly, but they are only $3.50 for a dozen, and are AMAZING! They were all pink and red decorated with hearts - so cute! I totally splurged and threw any healthy eating out the window haha! We've all got to do it every once in a while!
So yesterday was a very sad day coming home :-( I'm missing him like crazy already. But it was a very romantic weekend...just reassured me that I am with the right person! He is truly my best friend, and I couldn't ask for a better man in my life!
So how was everyone else's weekends? I know a lot of people that just stayed in and cooked (which believe me - I think it's a great idea!) If he had a full kitchen and not just a rinky-dink college apartment we might have done the same. So much for saving money! Maybe next year.
Monday, February 9, 2009
After the read-through I went to eat at our favorite Mexican resturant and ate WAY too much food! The ate to much food where you can feel your stomach poke out for a day haha! Then I had a super fun girls night with my ol' hot tubbing buddies! Well, almost a girls night. Their two little brothers were there (ages 5 & 7) and taught us how to play Rock Band! Ever played? MAKE IT A HABIT! We had the best time! We seriosuly probably played for 4 hours. While I brought out my inner Pat Benetar and Courtney Love, my friends made us a big pitcher or Malibu Rum and pineapple juice...we have a bad habit of just making up random (sometimes not so tasty) drinks, but this one was a winner - trust me!
Yesterday we drove out to probably my favorite city in Georgia - Athens! Aaaaaand I finally bought my elliptical! It's a smaller elliptical that doubles as a bike. It was middle of the road as far a price, but it really suit me. I already can't wait to get off work and put it together. Yes - I will be putting it together myself (no help from my stepdad) while watching The Barefoot Contessa after work. I have faith in my mechanical skills! :-) I also bought a resistance band that came with 2 posters of excersizes to do with them plus a DVD - for only 5 bucks! Yay for Academy Sports! Being there (Athens) really made me miss my college days. Not the actual college part (I hate school), but the town, the environment, the people...it's such a cool place to live. Very eclectic little shops, great wine bars, awesome places to eat! I could walk around downtown all day long from shop to shop. I have got to make going back there a regular thing! Well now I suppose it's off to work for what I'm sure will be the longest dragging work week ever (since I am heading our Thursday to see the BF!) I hope everyone has a great start to the week!
Friday, February 6, 2009
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Today is the last day in my work week so I'm pretty excited about the weekend. Tonight I am auditioning for a musical at our community theater called "Children of Eden". It chronicles the stories of the Old Testamant from Adam and Eve up to Noah. I haven't studied up on it too much (which I should have) but the music is beautiful. Some really upbeat fun songs, and some sweet ballads. I also think I'm going to be doing hair and makeup for the show! That will be so much fun! All of the kids 10 and under will be dressed as animals, so lots of cute face painting! I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow!
The only other plans I have this weekend include going to a bar/club I like to see an artist I'm not crazy about. The bar is one of the biggest around (I WANT to say the biggest dance floor in the country...don't quote me!) and is a ton of fun. But I'm just not that into country music (aside from Taylor Swift & Carrie Underwood...love em!), and the guy playing is like country/rock. It will be a good time no matter what, though.
I'm sure another update will come before the end of the day! Do you girls have any fun weekend plans? Let's hear about them! :-)
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Since my computer here at work is not allowing me to post pictures OR links I will just put web addresses to my destinations.
Santorini, Greece :
Weekend weather : low to mid 60's
Maui, Hawaii :
Weekend weather : low 80's
Matuku, Fiji :
Weekend weather : mid 80's
Nassau, Bahamas :
Weekend weather : low to mid 70's
Can you tell I'm sick of being cold???
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
1. I am deathly afraid of mice. I can handle ANY other creepy crawly bug or animal, but if I even see a mice on tv I get the chills. Yuck!
2. My favorite city in the world is London. I love the fashion, the metro, West End, crowded streets, beautiful parks, and pub beer in the middle of the afternoon. It's just amazing to me.
3. I am the oldest of 3 kids and the only girl. My two younger brothers are 17 & 13.
4. Speaking of brothers, I actually was allowed to name the 17 year old. I had (and still have) a pretty big obsession with "The Little Mermaid". My brother's name is Eric...after Prince Eric. It makes for a great story to embarass him with in front of his friends.
5. I am VERY shy when just meeting someone. I'm always really paranoid about people judging me, so I guess that's where it comes from. But once you get to know me I rarely shut up :-)
6. I eat a crazy amount of tomatos and pickles. I could eat a whole tomato like an apple and be in heaven! Ever since I was little I have eaten them on everything. It's weird.
7. I am horrible at math! I failed pretty much every math class I took in high school. But I am a Literature freak! It was the only class I ever cared about - haha!
8. If I am mad at you and you get me flowers - no matter what damage has been done - all will be forgiven.
9. I am a sucker for a guy building or fixing somthing. There's just somthing about the "manliness" of it. I love watching my boyfriend do anything from working in the shop to changing a light bulb!
10. When I was younger I was dead set on having four children...HAHAHA! Now it's gonna be one...if any.
11. I hate hate hate cold weather! And I'm not just saying that because it's insanely cold here right now. I need to live somewhere that it's sunny year round. I'm too in love with flip flops and sundresses for this crap.
12. I'm a night person - not morning. It doesn't matter if I get 12 hours of sleep the night before. When I wake up you better give me a good hour before I stop acting like a zombie.
13. I love dogs! Little yappy house dogs, huge outside dogs you can wrestle with...they're all great!
14. If I could eat one thing for the rest of my life and not gain weight it would be my boyfriend's grandma's banana nut bread. OH! MY! GOSH! I'm drooling just thinking about it!
15. No matter if it's 100 degrees outside I have to have my water scalding hot for my shower.
16. I hardly ever take medicine. Even if I'm sick (which is very rare) I won't take it. Advil for a headache? Nope. Midol for cramps? Not here. Stubborn, I guess.
17. I was an avid tennis player all my life and even hold records at my high school. What, what! :-)
18. Every woman in my family is very short and every man is very tall. Opposites attract!
19. I love theatre, but I have insane stage fright. I always do behind the scenes stuff, but the last time I got the nerve to be in a show I almost got sick every night before I went on.
20. I make tons of lists. I have about 15 cute little notebooks full of stuff "to-do".
21. Speaking of notebooks, I always keep one on my nightstand. Pretty much every night before I go to bed I doodle and draw while watching TV or talking to my boyfrind.
22. I was voted "Worst Driver" my senior year.
23. My dream car would be a black Range Rover...mmm...but :sigh: there is no point. See #22.
24. I could spend all day in a grocery store. Especially a really big one...like Farmer's Market. I just love cool, different food I never get to see in small stores.
25. I'm super weird about my undergarmets matching! I'll feel weird all day if they don't.
Black bra + black underwear = OK! They are both solid colors that go together.
Red bra + pink underwear or two different prints = not OK! Not ever!
Sunday, February 1, 2009
These girls LOVE diet coke! Haha - it's so weird!
Her future's so bright...
My favorite picture of Baylee...my uncle is a great photographer and a wiz with Photoshop
Friday, January 30, 2009
The rules of this award:
1. Put the logo on your blog or post.
2. Nominate at least 5 (or however many..) blogs which show great attitude and/or gratitude.
3. Be sure to link to your nominees within your post.
4. Let them know that they have received this award by commenting on their blog.
5. Nominate your favorites and link to this post.
I may be nominating people who already have this award - not sure! But these are some of the adorable blogs I love!
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Let's change to a lighter subject! I am house sitting this weekend for my parents. They are out of town with my step-dad's business and I have been called to "babysit" my 13 and 17 year old brothers...just to ensure there are no throw downs while they're gone. This also includes cooking gourmet dinners of Ramen noodles and Moose Tracks ice cream. Easiest weekend of my life! Not to mention drinking marvelous Cabernet while watching Sex & The City...ah - relaxation! Tomorrow will consist of shopping for Valentine's gifts, taking some clothes to Goodwill & shopping for an elliptical trainer. I am super excited about that! Do any of you have one of your own? I need to know the best kind to get, but I'm kind of in the dark.
I was also thinking today (today has been a very reflective kind of day)...how much effort does it take to give someone you care about a compliment? Do we ever really stop to think about how one kind sentence out of our mouth could make someone else's day? If you love someone - tell them. If a girlfriend of yours has great style - let her know. If a family member does something out of their way to make you happy - let them know you appreciate it. Ten seconds out of your day could make someone else feel like they are floating in the clouds. Not to say you should base your worth on what other people say about you! It's just nice every once in a while to hear something to make you feel special. Just a thought...
Well it's off to fabulous Mad Housewife wine and movies for me...I will let you know how the shopping goes tomorrow!
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
A.) Just got off work and don't give two craps what they look like
B.) Are moms with 8 screaming kids - complete with "mom" jeans and sweatshirts
C.) Redneck men with Wranglers and Skoal rings (no offence to those of you whose boyfriends/husbands rock this look...I'm just sayin!)
Moral of my story is this is pretty much the only time I get to feel like a girly-girl. That's why I'm absolutely giddy about visiting my boyfriend for Valentine's Day. I am V-Day freak! Repeat - FREAK! I loooove this holiday and always have! I know some people think it's too commercial, and you shouldn't have to only show the people you love special attention one day out of the year - agreed. I love it anyway! I always start planning way in advance cute things to get the ones I love. No one is left off the list; from my boyfriend to mom to little cousins. So I thought I'd share some of my ideas so far :
My Mom is a very frequent grocery shopper and is always talking about these cute reusable bags...and since I'm always trying to save the environment, what could be better?
Weird that I get my brothers boxers...? Nah! One less thing my Mom has to buy them!
I LOVE baking! These super easy sugar cookies are adorable wrapped in colored cellophane with ribbon.
My BF is a different story. I'm still on the fence about something for him. I'm trying to get really sentimental and sweet this year. Music is his passion in life and he plays a ton of instruments plus listens to music pretty before his time. ( Think Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix, The Beatles) I asked him what a few of his favorite albums ever were, and he said he'd have to think about it for a while. After he gets back to me on this one, I'm going to attempt to paint it on a canvas for him. I'm pretty artsy (used to be, anyway!) and have wanted to get back into painting for a while now, so hopefully this will be a jump start. What do you girls get your guy on Valentine's Day? Any other good ideas?
Sunday, January 25, 2009
This is so cute and pin-up girl to me...plus it comes in pink :-)
So cute and colorful! It just screams summer to me.
Call me crazy, but I just love this sailboat print!
Now the rest of my day consists of laying around watching Food Network and eating leftover veggies from some kick-butt fajitas last night. Nothing is better than spicy jalopeno goodness with a Hungry-Girl margarita to wash it down. If you've never been to Hungry-Girl.com you MUST check it out! I could go on and on about this gem of a site, but I'll save it for another day. I hope everyone else had a fabulous weekend! Tomorrow's back to the work week - whoohoo! (dripping with sarcasm)
Friday, January 23, 2009
Hi - I'm Ashley...nice to meet you, too!
There are so many things that describe me that if I tried to type it all I would have some serious finger cramping. So the basics.
Background - I've lived in the same small town my whole life (minus the two years I went to college about an hour away). Don't like it one bit. Small town = close minded people, very boring, never anywhere to go or anything to do that requires me actually getting to dress up. I'm making the most of it, though. I just got a great job a few months ago which I am LOVING! I get pretty dirty sometimes, which I'm not too fond of, but I work with great people and it pays for my number one addiction. Retail. I'm just a LITTLE obsessed with shopping and fashion - and I'm not sorry. Shoes and bags in particular. I could go on and on about this subject, but I'll spare you for now.
Another big part of my life is FOOD. For many reasons...
1. Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to be able to cook, but once I actually tried I discovered something shocking. I sucked. I could burn water. However, there is a silver lining in this story! Just recently out of the blue I became really good at it. It's definitely an obsession now. I love trying out new recipes and coming up with my own. Seeing people like the food I make is such a great feeling!
2. I am a very strict eater...very! I have been a vegetarian for about a year now and just recently have tried my darnedest to become vegan. I'm sure most of you know this means I don't eat any animal products at all. *DISCLAIMER FOR VEGANS* I am sorry to say, however, I don't always do such a great job at it. I'm not going to throw this in everyone's face and look down on anyone for eating meat. Hell, I'll cook it for everyone else...I just don't eat it. I'm also not going to pitch a fit and refuse a meal someone else cooks me at the expense of being rude. I love animals, but my choice is based on sheer selfish health benefits. Shoes and purses are made from leather...have I mentioned I loved shoes and purses? SORRY! There is only so far a girl can go.
3. In the past few months I have lost a good bit of weight I packed on from college (pizza, beer, late night McDonald's - we've all been there). Since I have lost the weight I am always trying to make the food I make healthier. I love learning about nutrition and keeping my body in shape. I'm not crazy about working out and giving up certain foods, but I love my new body more than I love Krispy Kreme.
Let's talk about LOVE! Mine is hundreds of miles away going to school in the north. We have been together a little over a year and a half, and I'm simply smitten by him. He is my rock and my best friend. It's tough not having him here, but it makes the time we do spend together so much more precious. He will probably be talked about quite a bit. Along with my bee-eff, I am in love with my family. I grew up with a lot of rebel in me and didn't want to be around them as much as I should have, but now that I'm older I'm so blessed to be as close to them all as I am.
Whew! That was a long one. Now that I've spilled my guts through words I need to start showing my life through pictures. First I need a digital camera. I'm aware I'm probably the only human that doesn't own one - don't judge me! Pictures will come soon!
So now tell me about yourself...I can't wait to start "meeting" you all! :-)